Pages

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Birthday Monster

Lizardman Soldier
28 mm

You hear the door come crashing down
The birthday monsters are in town!

This is kind of a special project for me.  My 4 year old daughter thoughtfully selected this Reaper Bones mini for me for my birthday this year, and I wanted to paint it up as soon as I could to show my appreciation.  It's a good figure, a bit "flat" but still exhibiting a dynamic character.  The Bones plastic was even softer than I'd expected, but the hot water trick worked to straighten the spear and generally make him stand more upright.



I'll admit you can tell my skills have slipped in the last few years, but on the other hand, painting 15 mm has made me accustomed to using strong contrast, which I think suits this scaly guy.  The other figure she got me might have to wait a bit, I have some 15 mm projects I'm anxious to get going on once the back-to-school madness settles down.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about your skills slipping - that lizard looks great to me. The scales on his back really pop.
    I'm not sure when your birthday was, but whenever it was, happy bd.
    By the way, what is the hot water trick? Running the Bones under hot water and then straightening out the bendy spears?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the trick. I used boiling water followed by an ice water bath.

      And thanks, glad you like it. I feel like I was getting better and better at blending, NMM etc and then the kids came along and now I swear sometimes I just dab paint on while looking over my shoulder with one eye... Fortunately in 15 mm you can get away with a lot, but I definitely cut a few corners here and there.

      Delete
  2. Well painted, the strong contrasts do indeed suit him.
    I also like the dynamic pose of the model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy B-Day, Mr. M. Nice work on the lizard.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!